Job Posting: Bookkeeper
Role Title: Bookkeeper
Hours: Part-time, 8 – 12 hours / week. Additional work available in other roles.
Location: Our Office @ 100 Ottawa Avenue, South River, Ontario, or; work from home with regular check-ins at our office.
Compensation: $20 – $22/hour based on experience.
Start Date: August or sooner.
What is Northern Edge Algonquin?
We provide experiences in nature that help us rediscover ourselves, empower one another and restore our connection to the earth.
“The Edge” is a nature retreat & awareness centre located on Kawawaymog Lake, on the edge of Algonquin Park. We offer year-round retreat experiences including yoga retreats, adventure getaways, spiritual experiences, team building, experiential tourism training programs, reunions, and more. Comfortable cabin accommodations, delicious meals, programs, and activities are always included.
Employees at Northern Edge enjoy working surrounded by nature, in a positive work environment.
- Join an active & engaged work community offering regular team outings & experiences.
- Participate in a wide variety of all-inclusive retreat programs at no cost & reduced cost, contributing to both personal & professional development.
- Borrow program materials & outdoor equipment (such as canoes, yoga mats, & SUP boards) for personal use in our corner of Algonquin Park & area.
- The Edge offers a self-funded health & dental benefits program for full-time team members after four months of uninterrupted employment.
- Our focus on wellness & empowerment in nature helps not only our guests, but contributes to the continued personal growth of all our team members.
- When possible, team members may arrange to live on-site seasonally or long-term as a part of their working agreement.
- Workers nourish their own needs with flexible hours of work and a generous sick day policy.
- Room to grow: Over time, workers expand and craft their role by exploring new areas in the direction of their passions & talents.
We are searching for a new bookkeeper to take over our books just after our year-end at the end of September. Working either from our office or from home, our bookkeeper checks in and communicates regularly with office staff and our accountants, supporting an organized general ledger & timely payroll, while helping to ensure our practices meet government requirements.
What you’ll do:
- Work online with our cloud-based Kashoo Accounting Software.
- Communicate regularly with Office Staff, Owners, and Accountant.
- Post all accounts payable to general ledger and issue payment as needed.
- Review all accounts receivables and reconcile payments.
- Post bank deposits, email money transfers to general ledger.
- Calculate and prepare cheques for bi-weekly payroll.
- Remit source deductions on a quarterly basis, filing HST on a yearly basis.
- Conduct monthly reconciliation of banking and credit card accounts, expense reports, accounts receivables, accounts payables, and invoicing.
- Issue T4’s at year end.
- Verify transactions are accurate and resolve discrepancies.
- Assemble information for external tax accountant and auditors as required.
- Work with owner and accountant to close year end.
For interested candidates looking for more full-time work, additional roles can be bundled with this one, including work in areas of:
- Food Service.
- Facility stewardship.
- Office administration & sales.
What you have:
- Passion, initiative, enthusiasm, motivation and teamwork.
- A deeply empathetic approach to your work and communication.
- Exceptional communication skills, both written and verbal.
- Exceptional organizational skills.
- Flexibility, Adaptability, Resiliency, Dependability.
- The ability to work from home and check in regularly at our South River office, or work from our office location.
- Experience managing books for one business or many.
- Payroll experience is an asset.
- Experience in cloud-based accounting software, including Kashoo, is an asset.
- Post-secondary degree or diploma in accounting, bookkeeping, or similar is an asset.
- Send in your application to [email protected]
- Include your resume, cover letter, and 2-3 references with email addresses.
- Candidates may be invited for an interview at our Main Office in South River, Ontario.