Job Posting: Food Service Steward
Job Posting: Food Service Steward / Assistant Cook (Full Time / Part Time)
Location: Northern Edge Algonquin, Kawawaymog Lake (Algonquin Park Access #1), South River, Ontario.
Application Deadline: May 11, 2018
Start Date: June 2018
To apply send cover letter & resume to: [email protected]
Northern Edge Algonquin: www.northernedgealgonquin.ca
Northern Edge Algonquin is a national and provincial award-winning nature retreat recognized by TripAdvisor as a Platinum Level GreenLeader, and by Destination Canada as a Signature Experience provider, representing the best in Canada. Our mission is to provide experiences in nature that help us rediscover ourselves, empower one another and restore our connection to the earth.
“The Edge” is located on Kawawaymog Lake, on the edge of Algonquin Park. We offer year-round experiences including yoga retreats, canoe trips, nature retreats, shamanism retreats, executive team building events, experiential education field trips, adventure and experiential tourism training programs and more. Comfortable cabin accommodations, delicious meals, programs, and activities are always included.
Contribute towards the achievement of the Northern Edge Algonquin’s high standards of food service and guest care. Ensure a clean and safe work environment completing daily and weekly assigned checklists as required and ensure the efficient and cost effective preparation of food. Meet health and sanitation standards and ensure guest satisfaction at meal time.
Learn about our commitment to sourcing bio-regional food, balancing this with guests’ dietary needs. This job is a fantastic growing opportunity for those interested in local & sustainable cookery. Learn more at NorthernEdgeAlgonquin.ca/meet-the-edge/mealtime/
All positions at the Edge have room to grow.
- Learn how to create reciprocal relationships with local farmers & others in the food service industry.
- Develop your capacity to create meals that meet a wide variety of dietary preferences with excellence.
- Learn how to focus a menu creatively around what is available locally, what is fresh & seasonal.
- Room to engage your own passions & explore new ideas.
What you’ll do:
- Perform the food shop, transportation & organization of ingredients.
- Meal Service: Preparation, Cooking, Serving, and Cleanup.
- Food Production: Preparation, Packing, Storage of food items for retail sale.
- Maintaining Food Safety and Handling of food for safe consumption as stipulated in the Health Code.
- Ensure the efficient use of food and other materials.
- Maintain cleanliness of serving/preparation items, food service equipment & tools through proper cleaning and sanitizing procedures.
- Operate food service equipment.
- Maintain inventory of bulk ingredients through regular repacking & stocking.
- Maintain a clean workspace, including the areas such as the Dining Hall, Kitchen, Pantry, and Cellar.
- Follow appropriate guidelines for composting & waste disposal.
- Manage & maintain our food depot in South River.
- Submit & receive orders with the Ontario Natural Food Co-op and other suppliers.
- Research & explore new local products & possibilities.
- Assist with the delivery of experiential cooking workshops with a mind for safety & high quality standard.
- Report maintenance issues and damaged items.
- Perform any other job related duties as assigned.
- Participate in team meetings as required.
- Maintain a positive and professional decorum at all times.
- Work with our team, doing what needs to be done to ensure the safety & seamless experience of guests.
- Role includes possibilities of indoor and outdoor work, repetitive tasks, occasionally handling heavy loads, and performing tasks with attention to detail.
What you have:
- A self-motivated personality with an appreciation for team success.
- A professional appearance and manner.
- Exceptional communication skills, working well with guests and other team members.
- A willingness to “pitch-in” and help co-workers with their job duties and be a team player.
- Ability to grasp, lift, carry or otherwise move materials weighing up to 40 lbs without assistance. Ability to stand and work for 4 hours or more.
- Proven cooking ability. Previous commercial cooking experience is an asset.
- Basic knowledge of, and practical experience in fundamental cooking methods and techniques such as braising, grilling, roasting, poaching, steaming, smoking, stock and soup preparation, fundamentals of hot and cold sauce cookery.
- Approachable, pleasant, polite, fast.
- Able to work various shifts, including weekends and holidays.
- Self starter and able to work with minimum supervision.
- Ability to multi-task and organize time effectively and efficiently.
- Ability to meet the physical demands of the position.
- A valid driver’s license, and reliable transportation to and from our off-the-grid location is required.
- Strong mission of service – passion, initiative, motivation and teamwork skills.
- A deeply empathetic approach to your work, both with internal team and visitors.
- A commitment to and passion for championing the core values and identity of Northern Edge Algonquin.
- Exceptional communication skills, both written and verbal.
- Flexibility, Adaptability, Resiliency.
- Culinary skills with chef training certificate or culinary management diploma required. Role requires post secondary food service certification with at least a Food Service Worker College Certificate.
- Food Safety Certification required.
Compensation & Work Hours
Up to $17.50/hour, based on experience.
30-40 hours/week, part-time opportunities also available.
Please send an application to [email protected], including:
- Cover Letter
- 2 or 3 References (including their email contact information.)