Job Posting: Facility Steward
Published By Tim Lucier on July 18th, 2020 in Edge Insider, Jobs
Role Title: Facility Steward
Hours: Part-time or full-time opportunities available.
Location: Our off-the-grid retreat centre on Kawawaymog Lake, 20km from South River, Ontario.
Compensation: From $15/hour, based on experience.
To apply send cover letter & resume to: [email protected]
Northern Edge Algonquin
We provide experiences in nature that help us rediscover ourselves, empower one another and restore our connection to the earth.
“The Edge” is a nature retreat & awareness centre located on Kawawaymog Lake, on the edge of Algonquin Park. We offer year-round retreat experiences including yoga retreats, adventure getaways, spiritual experiences, team building, experiential tourism training programs, reunions, and more. Comfortable cabin accommodations, delicious meals, programs, and activities are always included.
Employees at Northern Edge enjoy working surrounded by nature, in a positive work environment.
- Meaningful employment and a sense of belonging in a co-creative & positive team that values community connection.
- Peaceful work environments & lots of opportunity to spend time in nature.
- Flexibility – we value your time and your unique needs.
- Participate in a wide variety of all-inclusive retreat programs at no cost & reduced cost, contributing to both personal & professional development.
- The Edge offers a self-funded health & dental benefits program for team members after four months of uninterrupted employment.
- Exploring our corner of Algonquin Park and area with free access to borrow equipment.
- A self-funded health & dental benefits program for team members after four months of uninterrupted employment.
Facility Stewards contribute towards the achievement of the Northern Edge Algonquin’s high standards of facility maintenance while working in nature. Complete daily and weekly projects and assigned checklists as required to ensure the efficient and cost effective maintenance of the grounds & facilities of the Edge. Meet health and sanitation standards and ensure guest satisfaction by improving the atmosphere of the retreat centre.
What you’ll do:
- Participate in the maintenance and development of facilities, buildings, equipment, trails & pathways, gardens, and more.
- Complete Facility Maintenance Checklists as required on a Daily/Weekly/Monthly/Seasonal basis.
- Ensure facility mechanical systems receive regular scheduled maintenance/service.
- Sand, stain, and paint decks, walls and other surfaces as required.
- Perform maintenance and repairs on adventure equipment, facility tools, and program materials as needed.
- Work on a variety of projects indoors & outdoors, acting as a steward of our spaces – keeping things working, safe for guests, and looking nice.
- Organize and manage waste and recycling system. Schedule biweekly disposal of waste/recycling and annual disposal of hazardous wastes (used motor oil, paints, solvents, etc.)
- Maintain the organized storage of seasonal equipment, tools, maintenance supplies, and building materials in the Stewards’ Shop, Drive Shed, Crawlspace, and Turtle Shell.
- Research, develop, and implement ecologically sustainable appropriate solutions & technologies.
- Option for additional work in areas of housekeeping, food service, and more.
- Role includes Indoor and outdoor work, repetitive tasks, occasionally handling heavy loads, and performing physically demanding tasks with attention to detail. Activities include a combination of sitting, standing, walking, bending, crouching and kneeling.
What you have:
- A self-motivated personality with an appreciation for team success.
- A professional appearance and manner.
- Exceptional communication skills, working well with guests and other team members.
- A willingness to “pitch-in” and help co-workers with their job duties and be a team player.
- Ability to grasp, lift, carry or otherwise move materials weighing up to 30 lbs without assistance.
- Ability to move on outdoor trails to multiple buildings, bend, stoop and reach, and assist other staff members, to complete tasks if situation demands.
- Proven painting/staining ability with an attention to detail.
- Approachable, pleasant, polite, fast.
- Knowledge of painting/staining techniques and products an asset.
- Self starter and able to work with minimum supervision.
- Ability to multi-task and organize time effectively and efficiently.
- Ability to meet the physical demands of the position.
- A valid driver’s license, and reliable transportation to and from our off-the-grid location is required.
- Strong mission of service – passion, initiative, motivation and teamwork skills.
- A deeply empathetic approach to your work, both with internal team and visitors.
- A commitment to and passion for championing the core values and identity of Northern Edge Algonquin.
- Exceptional communication skills, both written and verbal.
- Flexibility, Adaptability, Resiliency.
- Skills in mechanical repair, engineering, landscaping, construction an asset.
- Send in your application to [email protected]
- Include your resume, cover letter, and 2-3 references with email addresses.
- Candidates may be invited for an interview at our Algonquin Park retreat.