Job Posting: Housekeeping Coordinator
Published By Tim Lucier on July 19th, 2021 in Jobs
Work in nature with our positive & community-focused team!
Long-term Position: 21 – 35 hours/week
Compensation: $16 – $18 / hour based on experience
Northern Edge Algonquin
Kawawaymog Lake (Algonquin Park Access #1),
22 km from the town of South River, ON
To apply send cover letter & resume to: [email protected]
Housekeeping Coordinator Position
“The Edge” is seeking an experienced housekeeper with high standards of cleanliness, a natural leadership ability, and excellent initiative to work closely with our small housekeeping team to clean, prepare, and maintain spaces for guest and staff use.
In addition to actively participating in cleaning & housekeeping tasks, the Housekeeping Coordinator will help to steer the team through weekly goals, retreat prep and cleanup, and seasonal deep-cleaning, contributing towards the achievement of Northern Edge Algonquin’s high standards of cleanliness and guest care.
Our Housekeeping Team Principals:
- Maintaining fresh & welcoming guest spaces
- Keeping supplies organized and staff spaces as fresh and clear as guest spaces.
- Care & empathy for our team and guests.
- Use of environmentally sustainable cleaning products & solutions.
- Efficiency and simplicity.
- Taking initiative and self-directed action to resolve issues to the best of one’s knowledge and abilities.
- Voicing suggestions & new ideas for continuous improvement.
Housekeeping Coordinator Responsibilities:
- Updating and maintaining housekeeping checklists and training materials.
- Learning the “ins and outs” of the Edge in order to successfully coordinate housekeeping activities with minimal input needed from management.
- Coordinating housekeeping team schedules and weekly action plans based on the needs identified that week.
- Paying close attention to upcoming retreats, events, activities at the Edge. See what the needs are in regard to guest care & spaces, and find ways to fulfill those needs.
- Developing improved practices – for example: Researching and sourcing improved cleaning products and more environmentally sustainable solutions.
The housekeeping team works together to complete weekly and monthly checklists that may include:
- Sweeping, vacuuming, mopping and washing floors,
- Cleaning furniture and fixtures,
- Stocking linen, making beds, and changing sheets,
- Waste management,
- Cleaning and disinfecting bathrooms,
- Loading and unloading washing machines and dryers, folding sheets, towels and bedding. Transporting large quantities of clean and soiled linens to and from our laundry facilities in town.
- Seasonal deep cleaning and reorganization.
- Report maintenance issues, lost and damaged items found.
- Perform other job related duties as requested. Work as a team doing what needs to be done to ensure the safety & seamless experience of guests.
- Position features indoor and outdoor work, repetitive tasks & movements, occasional handling of heavy loads, some physically demanding tasks. Activities include a combination of sitting, standing, walking, bending, crouching and kneeling.
What we’re looking for:
- Ability to provide direction and support to other team members.
- Excellent cleaning ability with an attention to detail. A love for organization. Knowledge of cleaning techniques and environmentally-friendly products is an asset.
- Self-initiative & dependability: identifying & resolving upcoming tasks and other needs with independence and ability to self-manage and delegate appropriately.
- Organizing time effectively and coordinating tasks so they are completed efficiently.
- Approachable team player: a willingness to assist co-workers with tasks, recognising a shared responsibility to co-create positive guest experiences.
- Physical capability & endurance to meet the physical demands of the position, including: walking up & down hillside trails to multiple buildings; ability to bend, stoop, kneel, and reach; ability to grasp, lift, carry or otherwise move materials weighing up to 30 lbs without assistance.
- Tech-friendly: Our team uses Slack, messaging, email, digital scheduling. You’ll need to be familiar with Google Drive / Google Docs / Google Spreadsheets.
- Reliable transportation to and from work at our Algonquin Park location (20 km from South River). On site accommodation may be available.
- Strong mission of service – passion, initiative, motivation and teamwork skills.
- A deeply empathetic approach to your work, both with internal team and visitors.
- Exceptional communication skills, both written and verbal.
- Flexibility, Adaptability, Resiliency.
- Previous management/housekeeping/guest care experience is an asset.
About the Edge
Northern Edge Algonquin: www.northernedgealgonquin.ca
Northern Edge Algonquin co-creates and hosts all-inclusive transformational retreats for groups of 8 to 30. Participants unplug in nature for our custom, multi-day experiences that reconnect and inspire the leader within, nourishing deep connections in our communities.
Our guests sleep comfortably in private or semi-private cozy ecoluxe cabins designed in harmony with our forest home, enjoy nourishing meals crafted with care from locally-sourced ingredients, and participate in specially curated experiences hosted by local guides, facilitators, and storytellers which make use of our lakeside studio and natural gathering spaces.
Employees at Northern Edge enjoy:
- Meaningful employment and a sense of belonging in a co-creative & positive team that values community connection.
- Working in a natural environment, indoors & outdoors.
- Flexible work hours & a generous sick-day policy.
- Participating in signature retreats at low / no cost.
- Exploring our corner of Algonquin Park and area with free access to borrow equipment.
- A self-funded health & dental benefits program for team members after four months of uninterrupted employment.
- Room to evolve: All positions at the Edge have room to allow for growth and evolution based on the interests and skills of team members.