Keeping ‘green’ while it gets white outside
We finally have snow…again! Thank goodness! I was starting to really feel like doomsday was close! Don’t get me wrong I am still worried about the state of our environment and will continue to work to reduce my impact on the environment. In fact I am posting a few ideas to inspire students to work towards a healthy and sustainable environment. They are:
- Take your students on a tour of an environmentally sustainable home or farm.
- Have your students research an environmentally destructive practice or industry and have them write letters to applicable officials demanding change.
- Have your students come up with a measurable challenge for themselves and their family that lowers their impact on the environment.
- Have your students conduct a waste audit of your school or facility. Then come up with new regulations for reducing waste in the school.
- Have your students illustrate and create a world with a healthy environment and then have them come up with ten steps they will personally take to work towards this dream.
- Have your students create a green space in the school yard, and then produce a public education session on greening backyards .
…and of course we as individuals should model the ‘green’ behavior that we wish our youth to emulate.
Learn more at ExpEd.ca