Our Social Enterprise
Over more than 20 years the Edge has hosted hundreds of events, thousands of guests and organically grown into the largest solar powered retreat centre in Canada.
Over the years many team members and partners have contributed their hands and hearts to helping grow our award-winning facility and nationally recognized experiences; as some of the best in Canada.
As Isadore Sharp says, “Real success is dependent on how many people’s lives have been improved because of a company.” Northern Edge is a social enterprise, dedicated to offering experiences that maximize human and environmental wellness, with accessible rates that sustain our retreat and awareness centre and our team.
When I come to the Edge, what am I investing in?
The choice to invest in the Edge fuels an economy of sufficiency, sustainability and gratitude. It also fuels your own inner fire!
- Unplug & take a much-needed vacation from technology. Here, cell phones don’t ring and emails don’t download, our guests feel free.
- Enjoy delicious meals catered to your own dietary needs from sustainable, local ingredients.
- Retreat, relax, explore, rejuvenate, rest, find adventure, and learn.
- Reconnect with your authentic self, without distractions and to do lists.
Investing in A New Dream:
What if it was possible to co-create a new dream for humanity and the earth? What if it was possible for a business enterprise to commit to providing rich experiences that change lives, while stimulating the local economy? What if they could do it while living on the clean energy of the sun? And what would happen if others joined in sharing their vision and stepped forward to be the change they want to see everywhere in the world?
Northern Edge Algonquin would happen . . . and twenty years later it would continue to evolve, and grow, nourishing and transforming lives.
The full name of our centre is: Northern Edge Algonquin Retreat and Awareness Centre. We are not a resort, but an oasis from the busy world. The Edge’s mission ‘Rediscover ourselves, empower each other, and heal the earth’ invites our guests to support a dream of personal fulfilment through caring and connecting. We aim to help our guests experience greater joy in aspiring to join us in being the change we wish to see in the world. Our guests have a lot of choice in where to travel, choosing to join us at the Edge may open your eyes to new ways of being and inspire you to live your life to its fullest potential. We know it’s more expensive to stay at the Edge, and there are a few things you’ll see and experience that might be different from other travel experiences, but we think you’ll find it inspiring and rewarding.
With gratitude we acknowledge our guests as co-investors, coming together to stand for a common purpose of living in a world of environmental sustainability, balance, harmony, and peace. Thank you!
When you visit the Edge, your dollars go towards:
- A healthy local food culture with locally grown and prepared foods. Your money goes directly into the hands of small independent local farmers and food providers. Guests dine on healthy, home cooked meals featuring local, sustainably harvested foods, and organic/fair trade foods including fresh food right out of our garden, Gregor’s garden and other local food initiatives.
- A diverse visitor economy that recognizes and values the contributions of artists and artisans, musicians, holistic care providers, yoga instructors and more.
- Partnerships with local businesses including Canadore College, Highlander Brew Co., Stonemote Cottage, local teachers and guides and many more who help us live local. All facility development projects are supported by purchasing from local businesses and using the services of local craftspeople.
- Mentorship, training and employment of team members at the Edge may grow into new local businesses. Over 20 plus years, many Edge team members have graduated to establish their own local enterprises including guides, educators, naturalists, photographers, food producers, yoga studios and more.
- Direct employment of close to a dozen people in our small community of South River, at a living wage. Another dozen experience providers join us to enhance our programs from time to time.
- Providing private gathering spaces for small group events (indoors and outside) that allows retreat participants to fully embrace new learning opportunities.
- Providing natural environments, gardens, and landscaped trails, supporting local trail initiatives and working with local forestry operations to ensure sustainable access to forests, lakes which provide wildlife connection opportunities.
- Facility development to provide greater levels of guest comfort, including the creation of new spaces for guests like the sauna, hive deck, greenhouse, expanded kitchen, new log cabin, and eco-experiments like our new passive refrigeration system.
- The cleaning & maintenance of our facilities, grounds, and equipment.
- The continual development of our website, promotional materials, marketing and awareness-raising of Edge experiences.
- Insurance, accounting, bookkeeping and legal costs.
- Dream time and team retreat days to find direction in the evolution of the Edge and our programs.
The cost of your stay also directly contributes to your enjoyment of:
- Fresh flowers, clean and decorated spaces for your event.
- Program supplies such as chairs, blankets, creative art supplies, candles, canoes, kayaks, SUP boards, mountain bikes, cross-country skis, snowshoes, kick-sleds, yoga mats, yoga blocks, drums, and more.
- Electricity from the sun. Repairs, replacements, and upgrades of our solar power systems and facilities.
- Fresh linens. Laundry services to clean linens and other items at our office in South River.
- Wood supply for the warmth and enjoyment of fire stoves, campfires, and sauna.
- Guest relations services from our office in town, and the office supplies, communications services, electricity used to support those services.
- Pre-and-post retreat conference calls, and the hosting of social networks for participants of some programs.
How can I deepen my contribution?
- Help us conserve power during your stay. Turn off the lights and conserve water. Join us after mealtime to share in cleaning the dishes for yourself and your group; living on the sun means we can’t have automatic dishwashers, so in the spirit of community we invite guests to pitch-in. Bring your own towel and launder it when you get home. Help turn the solar panels when they are facing away from the sun.
- Bring a friend, or tell your friends and family about us. Plan a group visit.
- Buy local, and meet the artisans, farmers, storytellers in your community.
- At home, visit your local parks & trails. Find ways to get outside and connect with nature.
- Contact us about making a donation to our Edge Greening Fund or the Way of the Circle Centre Scholarship Fund: 888-383-8320 ext. 1, [email protected]