The Tom Thomson Experience
Where art meets nature.
On the 100th anniversary of the death of famed painter Tom Thomson, the Edge is bringing back The Tom Thomson Experience. This art retreat celebrates Thomson and the creative spirit with storytelling, paddling adventures and art instruction.
Tom Thomson (1877-1917), one of Canada’s most important and influential artists created a distinct approach to portraying rugged Canadian landscapes, particularly in Algonquin Park. Thomson’s images are characterized by intense colour, bold brush strokes, and evocative moods.
- Paddling Algonquin Park through the eyes of Tom Thomson.
- An evening of storytelling & learning about the local culture.
- An engaging art workshop with local artist Jill Boschulte, who happens to be very well-acquainted with the lore of Thomson.
- Delicious meals and Comfortable accommodation.
“I help guests capture their personal perspectives of the landscape, working like Thomson, with a great deal of spontaneity. Capturing the magic of the moment and connecting with the landscape. There is an artist inside each of us, and I help that artist come out to play. Everyone has a creative spark, and if given the right fuel and encouragement, a fire will ignite.”
Jill Boschulte, Co-Facilitator
What is required to participate? An adventurous spirit, a creative spark and a sense of curiousity. No special skills are necessary and we provide the equipment and art material.
- 4 Day Package: $699/person
- Meals & Accommodation: Included
- All-Inclusive: Meals and snacks from arrival dinner to departure day lunch, canvas cabin accommodation, full retreat programming & workshops, all equipment & materials provided.
- Recommended for Adults and youth aged 14+
- July 6 – 9: on the anniversary of the death of Tom Thomson.