Field Trips at the Algonquin Park Outdoor Experiential Education Centre
Plan a year round outdoor retreat or summer canoe trip.
Co-produced retreats are our specialty
With over 25 years of experience developing and delivering memorable retreat programs for youth we understand the importance of co-producing and partnering to ensure youth retreats meet the needs of your group. Whether bringing your program ideas or curriculum needs and letting us design a retreat program for you, or partnering with us so that you do what you do best and we fill in the gaps with remarkable experiences; together we’ll make magic.
Bring your school or youth group to our award-winning eco-campus at Ontario’s Algonquin Park. Whether joining us for a winter adventure or a spring, summer or fall canoe trip or outdoor education retreat, you’ll find there is something special waiting for you at the Edge.
Youth/student rates include inspiring educational programs, healthy and energizing meals, and shared forest cabin, lodge and winter dormitory accommodations, as well as all equipment/program materials.
Rates: $135/student/day or less (min. 2 days) and teacher chaperones at no cost on a 10:1 student/chaperone ratio.
Check out our Outdoor Education Planner
Educational and Leadership Retreats and Canoe Trips at the Edge can be adjusted to match any curriculum: we’ll build a customized itinerary for your group with elements of leadership, outdoor recreation, survival skills, ecology, arts & culture, health & wellness, Canadian history, and more.
We have also worked with multiple program and conference planners from school boards and social services organizations to deliver programs for First Nations youth. Program planners for Canada’s First Nations youth bring their elders, traditions and ceremonies to our home in nature and including sunrise ceremonies, making crafts like dreamcatchers, drumming, elder teachings, sweat lodge ceremonies and more.
Ask us how we can work with specialized programs such as Specialist High Skills Major to provide hands-on experiences that go hand-in-hand with what is being learned in the classroom.
We also work with International student groups to share our love of the Canadian wilderness, and provide experiential opportunities for growth with Youth At Risk.
“Whenever we get a speech about ‘engaging our students’ I always am drawn to the experiences we had. I have yet to see any school based activity have such a lasting impact on students for the rest of their lives.”
– Dwayne Brunet, VP, Windsor, ON.
Educational retreats and adventures at our Ontario eco-education centre gives students first hand experience learning ways to reduce their ecological footprint, experiencing “off-the-grid” living. Our centre is just a short paddle from Ontario’s Algonquin Park and surrounded by thousands of acres of forest that act as our experiential classroom. Curricular and co-curricular programming is available in many different areas to meet the needs of your group. Consider:
- canoeing & kayaking – or – skiing & snowshoeing
- outdoor leadership
- wildlife tracking & studies
- edible & medicinal plants
- ecology of the Canadian Shield
- nature & personal awareness
- solo reflection and observation time
- team building challenges
- ancient & modern wilderness survival
- navigation by map and compass
- growing organic food in a northern environment
- solar power & sustainable design
- night walks under a sea of stars
- and much more!
Helping students build a meaningful connection with nature while learning about the natural world and themselves, is a major theme of our experience based outdoor programs in the Algonquin Park biosphere region.
The Edge was designed from the ground up to be the most sustainable, environmentally sound outdoor education facility in Ontario. Our operations, facilities and staff honour our connection with the earth with our programs as well as our footprint in day to day operations.
We invite you to visit and appreciate our efforts at being a low carbon, sustainable, eco-friendly, responsible provider of Algonquin Park retreats and adventures at our unique Outdoor Education facility.
Some words from our guests :
- "I've never seen faces so alive and well. It was such a breath of fresh air, honestly there are few times in this world where we can feel ourselves and at peace, and the experiences provided at the Edge allowed that special feeling to occur."
-Sandy Soave, Notre Dame High School
- "We keep coming back to Northern Edge because we can count on a wonderful experience with guides that graciously go up and beyond! Working for a non-for-profit that helps "at risk youth", I particularly appreciate the level of accommodation and genuine kindness from staff . . ."
-Mary Benedetti, Horizons for Youth, September 2014
Read Original Post
- "A welcoming and informative trip for our students and staff. The kids (and staff) felt very welcomed and cared for during our leadership training experience. The activites were informative, thought provoking and FUN! The food and accommodations were of the highest standards (the smiles on the kids faces during each meal proved it!).
The lessons learned will truly carry on with us and within our school community . . ."
-Julie M, Fort Erie Secondary School, October 2013
Read Original Post
- "Whenever we get a speech about ‘engaging our students’ I always am drawn to the experiences we had at the Edge. I could not believe those were the same students I have in the classroom. This experience brought out the best in them. I have yet to see any school based activity have such a lasting impact on students for the rest of their lives."
-Dwayne Brunet, Holy Names High School