Group Deposit Protection Policy
The following policy applies to all custom group retreats, whether planned by retreat planners, guest facilitators, or group leaders.
We recognize that sometimes retreat plans don’t work out. The Edge protects our experiences with a Deposit Protection & Lifetime Credit Policy for individual travellers, and this fair Deposit Protection Policy for group experiences.
Why do we have deposit protection?
Retreats at the Edge are generally planned well in advance. By placing your deposit, you are committing to bringing a group to Northern Edge Algonquin on the date you have selected. This allows us to plan with you and ensure a private group retreat by closing the date to other groups – we do not book concurrent events or guests for overnight stays outside of retreat participants. This means that if a booked retreat is canceled, we will not have time to find another group or plan another retreat to fill the space.
Your non-refundable deposit also allows us make commitments to facilitators, suppliers, & on-site support staff for your retreat. We provide administrative support, engage in meetings and planning sessions, prepare materials & spaces, plan menus, and buy fresh food and flowers in anticipation of your visit. Many of these preparations take place months in advance.
As stated in our Deposit Protection & Lifetime Credit Policy, when retreats are canceled we fully refund guests via their original payment method if they are unable to transfer to a different retreat. Even when we refund credit card payments, we are still charged applicable processing fees by our credit card processor (sometimes up to 6% of each guests’ total balance).
In the event you cancel your retreat, your deposit (and other charges that are due up to that point) go directly towards covering these costs, as well as compensating NEA for the loss of potential revenue for the date of your stay.
Upon Placing Your Deposit:
- You may cancel & receive a full refund (minus a 6% processing fee) within 5 business days of placing your deposit.
- If you cancel after 5 business days, your deposit will not be refunded, transferred or credited.
- With at least 4 months of notice, you may move your retreat to another available date with no penalty. (Once per event.)
Timlines for Groups sharing one invoice:
Our payment due dates are aligned with our cancellation timelines. Cancellations can be made by phone or email. Please inform us as early as possible if your plans change.
- If you had begun to pay your remaining balance and you cancel at least 15 business days (3 weeks) prior to arrival, all additional amounts paid will be refunded except the amount of your deposit.
- Within 15 business days of arrival, your remaining balance is due in full and is non-refundable. Depending on the situation, 50% of this amount (not including your deposit) may be credited for future use in accordance with our Lifetime Credit Policy.
- Within 48 hours of arrival day, we are fully prepared for your visit and are unable to provide refunds or credits of any type.
Group numbers for these invoices may shift up to the 15-business-day due date of the remaining balance. After this point, late registrations will be added to a separate invoice, due upon registration, and individual cancellations are not eligible for refund or credit. Planners are advised to develop a cancellation policy that aligns with these timelines.
Retreat Cancellations due to low numbers:
Retreats at the Edge require a minimum of 10 participants. In the case that minimum numbers are not reached 15 business days (3 weeks) prior to arrival, two options will be presented to the group planner, who must communicate their decision by 4:00pm of that day.
- Planners may choose to pay upfront for meal & accommodation spaces as needed to reach the minimum number. These spaces can then be gifted, sold at a reduced rate to new attendees, or used in retreat promotion. Group planners agree to cover these costs in advance and to run the retreat with low numbers even if the spaces are not used.
- The planner may choose to cancel the program, and guests will be refunded in accordance with our Guest Deposit Protection & Lifetime Credit Policy. The only amount not refunded will be the planners’ deposit.
- This timeline is set up to give us time to communicate with our guests in alignment with our Deposit Protection & Lifetime Credit Policy.
Event Cancellation by NEA
If Northern Edge Algonquin chooses to cancel your visit prior to your arrival due to any reason other than low numbers (for which the group planner is the decision-making party), including our inability to host a retreat due to provincial mandates, you are entitled to either:
- A transfer to alternative dates.
- A full refund for all deposits and balances paid for that retreat.
- Please note, NEA is not responsible for incidental expenses or consequential losses (such as non-refundable travel costs, loss of earnings) incurred in the event of cancellation. Check with your airline or travel planner for cancellation policies upon making travel arrangements.
Return of Deposit Upon Event Completion:
In the case that a planner does not owe NEA any costs, the deposit will be returned upon completion of the retreat.
If the planner has any invoices (ie: an invoice for the full group or if they are paying for additional spaces or meals/accommodations for helpers), the deposit will be applied first to those invoices as a down payment. Remaining amounts (if applicable) will be returned.